Grab your blender. This 6-ingredient, 5-minute turmeric shot is ready to be added to your morning routine. It not only tastes amazing, but it also has anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties that will leave you feeling your best.
- 1 orange
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup coconut water (or water)
- Four 1 inch pieces of turmeric (or 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder)
- Two 1 inch pieces of ginger root (or 1 tablespoon ginger powder)
- 1/4 tsp coconut oil
- 1 pinch of cayenne powder
- 1 sprinkle of black pepper, for topping
- Wash, peel and chop the turmeric and ginger root. Chop roots into 1 inch pieces.
- Juice the orange and the lemons. A citrus juicer or lemon squeezer can help.
- Add all ingredients to the blender except the black pepper. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until mixture is as smooth as it can be. A high speed blender like a Vitamix, Blendtec or Nutribullet work best.
- Pour into a shot glass, grind black pepper on top and enjoy.
- How to use ground turmeric and ginger. If you can find fresh root, use it because the dried versions will give the shot a grittier taste. If you can't find it, no worries. You'll need to follow these steps when using dried ingredients. 1) Boil the water needed for the recipe; 2) Steep the turmeric and ginger powder in the water for 5 minutes; 3) Strain the mixture to remove large chunks of spices; 4) Cool the remaining liquid; 5) Use this liquid in place of the water in the recipe.
- You can use the leftover pulp. I often freeze the leftover pulp from the strainer into individual portions in an ice cube tray. You can use these in future smoothies.
- There's an easier way to peel turmeric and ginger root. 1) Cut off small knobs on the root to achieve a semi-straight piece. 2) Use a spoon to remove the papery skin by scraping it back and forth.
- Be careful of turmeric stains. Turmeric can leave yellow stains on your skin and kitchen tools. If you decide to peel the turmeric, use a washable cutting board and consider wearing gloves. If you do see a stain, act quickly. This baking soda paste worked well for me in the past.
Keywords: turmeric, healthy beverage, healthy drink, immune booster