Ayurveda golden milk is at the top of my list when it comes to cozy drinks with huge health advantages. It's a dreamy blend of non-dairy milk, turmeric, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper and coconut oil.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 inches sliced fresh turmeric root or 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric powder
- 1 inch sliced fresh ginger root or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp (a pinch) of black pepper, freshly ground
- Maple syrup to taste (optional)
- Prepare turmeric and ginger if using fresh ingredients. Peel and slice ingredients. Alternatively, you can grate the turmeric or ginger using a zester. If you're using ground turmeric and ginger, skip to step 2.
- Combine almond milk, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper and coconut oil in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Pour into a mug through a fine mesh strainer to remove any large chunks of spices.
- If you're interested in making ayurveda golden milk lattes a party of your daily routine, you may want to consider buying or making turmeric paste. It's incredibly easy to make. You can make a jar in 15 minutes and store it the freezer for up to 3 months. You can find my recipe and additional ideas for using golden paste here.
- If it's too bitter, tame by adding more ginger, vanilla or a natural sweetener. Turmeric bitterness is also reduced by simmering it. So, be sure to simmer for the full 10 minutes.
- It can be easier to peel ginger and turmeric root using the edge of a spoon.