Restaurant quality fries are possible at home. Yep, even waffle fries. With the right tools, they're easy to make. Not to mention they're delicious and much healthier than their fast food or frozen alternatives. So, go on... make a delicious batch.
- 1 lb russet potatoes (roughly 2 medium potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Use a waffle cutter to slice each potato. I use and love the Swissmar Borner Powerline Wave Waffle Cutter.
- Pour oil on top of waffle fries and toss to combine.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 minutes.
- Remove the air fryer basket and add waffle fries to the basket. Be sure not to overcrowd the basket (see recipe notes for more detail).
- Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir the fries and remove any that are golden and crispy.
- Repeat this process every 3 minutes, until all fries are done. The total cooking time will depend on the thickness of your spiralized potatoes and how full your air fryer basket was, but will be somewhere between 12 and 20 minutes.
- While the waffle fries are cooking, combine the seasoning in a small bowl. When all fries are finished cooking, coat with seasoning.
- Enjoy with your favourite dipping sauce or on their own.
- Don't crowd the air fryer basket. While the waffle fries don't need to be in a perfect single layer, you also don't want them piled too high on top of each other. The air needs to be able to circulate to generate evenly cooked, crispy fries. Cook in two batches if need be.
- Cooking time may vary. Your cooking time is partly determined by how full your air fryer basket is. The more fries that are in there, the longer the cooking time. Use my cooking time as a guide, but be sure to check in on the doneness in the final minutes.
- Don't forget to flip the fries. This is a key step because it, again, leads to evenly cooked, crispy fries. It's as easy as tossing the basket to move the fries around.
- Serve immediately. If fries sit for too long, they get soggy. And, I know that's not what you're after. So, enjoy right away.